If I sell a home, and it already has an active Home Warranty Service Agreement, is it transferable to the new homeowners?

If the home is sold during the term of the Service Agreement, coverage can be transferred to the new homeowner by notifying 2-10 HBW at 800.795.9595. A legal document, such as theĀ  HUD statement will be required to ensure the Service Agreement is being transferred to the correct individual(s).