To ensure proper operation, security, weather resistance, and intended use
Twice a year
- Check window and door integrity and operation.
- Check weather stripping and assure that an airtight seal forms when closed. Replace loose or damaged weather stripping.
- Check door and window hardware (hinges, knobs, pins, latches, locks, etc.). Adjust, tighten, and lubricate where necessary.
- Spray graphite into keyholes and onto hinges when lubricating. Never use oil.
- Make sure door latch bolts and dead bolts engage properly.
- Look for binding or rubbing in the frames, cracked panes, difficult operation, locking problems, and cracking or peeling paint or varnish. Adjust, lubricate, clean, and reseal as necessary.
- Door thresholds can often be adjusted by loosening or tightening the threshold screws. Don’t forget to lubricate the tracks for sliding and pocket doors.
- Paint or seal the top and bottom of doors to reduce moisture penetration and wood shrinking or swelling.
- Don’t sand or plane a door until it has been exposed to the various moisture changes of every season.
- Keep windows clean with mixtures of vinegar, soap, and water. Read more about cleaning windows.