To identify sources of leaks or other problems
Twice a year
- Visually inspect from the ground. Avoid walking on the roof to prevent damage and injury.
- Look for torn, broken, missing, or cracked shingles or tiles; accumulated debris; gaps in flashing; exposed joints; and obstructed vent pipes.
- Check that sealed joints around skylight frames are in good condition/not cracked.
- Look in attic for water stains on underside of roof or wet insulation. Do NOT step on insulation or ceiling, as you may be seriously injured.
- After any snow, ice, high winds, or heavy rains, check for water stains under overhang and in attic. Always call your homeowners insurance company first for any storm-related damage.
- Consult with a qualified roofing contractor, as necessary, for correction of any roofing problems.