Stylish, organized spaces don’t have to cost a fortune, especially if you know a few tricks. In recognition of Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad’s recent passing, let’s explore some of the easiest ways to turn your Ikea products into functional works of art.
- Divide and conquer. If you live in a metropolitan area, you are probably all too familiar with expansive, open floor plans. While they do come with plenty of benefits, these roomy living spaces don’t offer much in the way of personal space. Ikea offers a slew of fashionable dividers that make it easy – and fun – to create separation without ruining your open floor vibe or sacrificing its overall aesthetic. Mix and match, according to your unique tastes and turn a cold open layout into a snug and stylish sanctuary.
- Press your plants. You can create lovely, inspirational wall art on the cheap by pressing flowers, leaves or plants between two Ikea glass frames. Leave the backs off, so the wall shows through, and display your delicate petals or brightly colored fall foliage like the organic works of art they truly are.
- Venture to the edge. Available in a variety of sizes and widths, Ikea’s picture ledges are great for propping up family photos and decorative prints. That said, you can also use them in the kitchen as mini spice racks or in the bathroom to hold books, ornaments or items that might normally clutter up your sink.
- Build a case against clutter. If you’re a parent, you know that kids tend to clean their rooms by transferring clutter into the closet. By placing backless Ikea book shelves inside a child’s closet, you can promote better organization by giving him or her a place to stow clothing, shoes and other stuff. You can even create locker-style functionality by installing hooks and rails for coats, book bags and belts. Consider painting the shelves, so they blend into the background or leap out as colorful accents that catch the eye.
- Create a sticky situation. Ikea sells convenient magnetic racks you can use to hang knives and spice containers. You can also repurpose these cool products to attract clutter within your child’s room. Whether it’s toy cars and trucks, keys or any other type of magnetic item, it will always have a place up and off the floor.
- Cultivate creativity. If your thumb has a slight green tinge, but you’re low on space, this clever Ikea hack is for you. Repurpose an ordinary shower rail by adding some hooks to hold pots filled with plants, flowers or herbs. Then, hang it across a well-lit window frame in your kitchen or dining room. You can paint the hooks, pots and rod to create a more unified look. Just make sure to use an enamel specially designed for metal surfaces, or you are likely to see chipping or peeling over time.
2-10 HBW offers the most comprehensive Home Warranty coverage for homeowners. Let us help you protect your home.