To assure proper function
- Always use cold water when operating. Hot water causes food to be cut less efficiently by the impellers and causes grease to liquefy which may solidify in your trap and cause a clog.
- To avoid stoppages, continue to run the water for at least two minutes after you turn the disposal off.
- Using the disposal with ice cubes, pieces of lemon/lime without peels, or baking soda will help keep your disposal clean and smelling fresh.
- If you drop a piece of silverware in your disposal turn the power off immediately before you attempt to remove it.
- If the disposal jams, use a disposal wrench, which should attach at the bottom of the disposal. Turn the wrench counterclockwise until it turns easily. Press the red reset button on your disposal, and it should unjam.
- Consult with a qualified repairman, as necessary.