How COVID-19 has affected your systems and appliances
Since March 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced us all to change our lifestyles, oftentimes dramatically. These lifestyle changes are becoming more obvious in how homeowners use their systems and appliances in their homes. Today, we’ll look at how COVID-19 has affected systems and appliances use and how 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) has worked hard to address increased use.
Systems and appliances use has risen dramatically
One of the biggest changes many of us have experienced is in how much more time we’ve spent at home. From lockdowns to layoffs, furloughs to work from home, people are finding themselves at home much more than before the pandemic. In fact, some studies* show that as many as 85% of people who can work from home are working from home, compared to just 5% before the pandemic.
With so many people at home, systems and appliances use has risen dramatically.
- 23% more refrigerator use^^
- 22% more overall electricity use^
- 21% more overall water use†
- 21% more sink use
- 20% more toilet use
- 16% more shower use
Like the homeowners who are using them more than ever, systems and appliances are overworked and stressed.
2-10 HBW is working harder than ever to address breakdowns
At 2-10 HBW, we’ve seen astounding increases in systems and appliances breakdowns this year.
- 25% more claims from March through August 2020 than through the same time frame in 2019
- 26% increase in the number of Service Contractor dispatches from March through August 2020 than through the same time frame in 2019
- Dispatches to address appliances breakdowns increased by 40%
- By far the busiest summer for 2-10 HBW over the last five years
It’s been a challenging year for everyone, but 2-10 HBW has refused to stand pat. Though no homeowner wants a breakdown, homeowners with home warranty protection from 2-10 HBW have gotten more value from their home warranty than ever before. That’s because 2-10 HBW has taken extra steps to keep up with demand.
- We’ve invested in more staffing to reduce hold times and handle unprecedented claim and call volumes. Everyone is working as quickly as possible to help homeowners address breakdowns.
- We’ve adjusted to demand by implementing several programs to help homeowners avoid service delays.
- We’re improving by adding more appliances contractors to our network to meet booming demand.
We will continue to adjust to the needs our homeowners have, throughout this pandemic and beyond. Though delays are sometimes inevitable, everyone at 2-10 HBW is working at overdrive to keep homes happy and healthy.
Small tips to help you avoid breakdowns
With so many changes and such high demand, you may wonder what you can do to reduce the likelihood of breakdowns. Here are a few tips to help you keep some of your most-used systems and appliances running well.
- Try not to graze at the refrigerator. With more people at home—including children—homeowners are opening their refrigerator more than ever. And each time it opens, the compressor has to put in more work. If at all possible, know what you’re looking for before you open the fridge. This can keep compressor use lower and reduce the likelihood of a breakdown.
- Turn off lights in rooms you aren’t using. Electrical system claims increased by as much as 23% this summer. An easy and effective step you can take is turning off lights in rooms you aren’t using. In general, if you’re going to be out of a room for 15 minutes or more, turn the lights off.
- Check for leaky faucets. Plumbing claims have also been on the rise. Make sure you don’t accidentally leave faucets running or dripping. Additionally, don’t put extra strain on your pipes. Know what not to put down your garbage disposal and what not to flush down your toilet.
COVID-19 has forced our systems and appliances to work overtime. But 2-10 HBW is working to continue protecting our homeowners.
We thank everyone who has continued to trust us to protect their homes. Now more than ever, you’ve relied on us to keep your home humming. We cannot thank you enough for letting us protect the things that make your house a home.
We’ll continue to support you throughout this pandemic and beyond. For more information about what we’re doing to keep you safe, read about how we’re supporting you.
2-10 HBW offers the most comprehensive home warranty coverage for homeowners. Let us help you protect your home.
* Based on the Atlanta Fed/Chicago Booth/Stanford Survey of Business Uncertainty and Willis Towers Watson white paper
^ Sense Labs, Inc. study
^^ Pecan Street Energy R&D Org: Reports on Residential Electricity Demand
† Reported by smart water-monitoring company Phyn, Feb.–Apr. 2020