What the nationwide appliances shortage means for you
There’s currently a nationwide appliances shortage. From refrigerators to ovens and their individual parts, everyone is having trouble finding the appliances they want and need. Why did this happen and what can you do about it to keep your home running? Let’s have a look at what this appliances shortage means for you.
Why is there an appliances shortage nationwide?
The nationwide appliances shortage is a perfect storm of three events, all caused in part by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A slowdown in appliances production during an unexpected spike in demand
- Increased household appliances use in 2020
- Homeowner desire to do home improvement projects
Many manufacturers and sellers predicted that demand would cool as shoppers stopped spending due to the pandemic. Combined with the pandemic forcing production lines to slow or stop, this led to lower production. However, many manufacturers and sellers saw an unprecedented spike in demand for appliances. This was the opposite of expectations.
Additionally, more appliances broke down because people spent more time at home due to the pandemic. As we’ve talked about, systems and appliances use has skyrocketed in 2020. This additional use meant more wear and tear on refrigerators, water heaters, and cooling systems, among others. Before the pandemic, it often didn’t take much time for suppliers to get the appliances and parts they needed. Now, it can take weeks or months to find parts.
Finally, many people started doing more home improvement since hunkering down at home. So, the already-low supply of appliances and parts fell even lower.
Each of these elements has led to what we see nationwide today—high demand, low supply, and longer wait times for appliances and parts. By most accounts, this trend will continue into 2021. But that doesn’t mean all hope is lost for homeowners.
What is 2-10 HBW doing about the appliances shortage?
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) is working hard throughout this appliances shortage. When covered appliances break down, homeowners trust 2-10 HBW to provide solutions. With so many appliances and parts on backorder, we’ve adjusted and adapted to keep homeowners happy. Here are just some of the ways we’ve helped homeowners address this shortage.
- Expanded our contractor network. Between June and August 2020, we grew our contractor network by 14%. This helped homeowners address breakdowns more efficiently and expanded our net of available appliances and parts.
- Made it easier for homeowners to use their own contractor. One of 2-10 HBW’s advantages is our strong contractor network. But given the increased demand for services, homeowners sometimes wanted or needed to use their own contractor. We adapted to this by simplifying the process of using your own contractor, which led to more solutions more quickly.
- Increased support staff. We’ve increased our support staff by 49% to handle the increased claim volumes.
Despite the challenges and shortages, homeowners with a home warranty from 2-10 HBW are still smiling. Our homeowners have continued to rate us highly on Avid Ratings (4.3/5 Overall Service Rating), which shows their satisfaction. Even with record-high breakdowns and appliance shortages, 2-10 HBW is still providing solutions for breakdowns to systems and appliances.
Is there anything I can do to avoid the shortage?
While there’s not much to do about the shortage itself, there are ways to reduce the likelihood of breakdowns! Here are just a few suggestions.
- Maintain your appliances well. Be mindful of how often you open your fridge, and make sure you clean the condenser coils Try to clean your oven when it gets extra grimy. Sometimes, keeping things clean is the most important step you can take to avoid breakdowns.
- Keep a maintenance schedule. Make sure to change your air filters, drain your water heater, and keep your outdoor cooling unit clear of debris. Keep a log of when you do so. That way, it can become part of your routine. If you haven’t started a maintenance schedule, there’s no better time than now!
- Get coverage from 2-10 HBW. A home warranty from 2-10 HBW can take much of the stress of breakdowns off your plate.
No matter how long the appliances shortage lasts, 2-10 HBW will continue to work hard to address breakdowns.
2-10 HBW offers the most comprehensive home warranty coverage for homeowners. Let us help you protect your home.